I asked what cheat sheet you desired next and this was a popular request. Personally, I love having these little reminders printed off and available! Enjoy and please take advantage of the other seven photography cheat sheets offered. Below, we've included text from one of our other amazing cheat sheets offered about metering modes. Thank you for being a friend of Pretty Presets. We're so happy you are here!
Nikon Metering Modes
- Spot metering only measures the intensity of the light over a small circular area around the active auto focus point, so be aware of the active focus point.
- This mode measures the light across the whole frame, but strongly biases the reading toward the center of the viewfinder. On more advanced DSLRs you can change the size of the central area.
3D COLOR MATRIX METERING
- The default metering mode on Nikon DSLRs measures light throughout the whole frame. It then compares the data to an internal database of typical photographic scenes to arrive at a suitable exposure.
CANON METERING MODES
- Spot metering measures the intensity of light over a small circular area in the center of the viewfinder.
- This metering mode measures the intensity of light over a larger circular area than spot metering.
- This metering mode measures the light across the whole viewfinder, but strongly biases the reading to the center of the frame.
- The default metering mode on Canon DSLRs, and the only option if you choose one of the automatic modes. It measures light across the whole frame, but strongly biases the reading to the around the current auto focus point.