Welcome to Pretty Presets for Lightroom! We have the best Lightroom brush install video and written tutorial below. These basic instructions will teach you How to Install Lightroom Brushes into Adobe Lightroom in just 2-3 minutes. We'll have you using your wonderful brushes in no time!
How to Install Brushes in Lightroom
1. On a PC, go into Lightroom and click on Edit at the top (next to File), then Preferences. On a Mac, go Lightroom, (to the left of File), then down to Preferences.
2. Your Preferences box will pop-up. There will be several tabs at the top; click on Presets (second tab over).
3. Next, click on the box titled “Show Lightroom Presets Folder" for older versions of Lightroom and the "Show All Other Lightroom Presets" button for the most current versions of Lightroom.
4. When the next box opens, double click on Lightroom.
5. Next, double click on Local Adjustment Presets Folder.
6. Finally, copy the contents of the Pretty Presets Folder, found in your download, into the “Local Adjustment Presets” folder and then paste (these are the .lrtemplate files).
7. You're done! If Lightroom was open when you copied the Pretty Presets, you will have to close it and restart it.
Lightroom Brush Troubleshooting Guide - possible issues and their solutions!
Brush Download Issues:
- If the download isn't working, try a different internet browser.
- Do NOT choose to “open” the file after download. Just hit save, then close that dialogue box. Then go open your Windows Explorer window and locate the zip file, which is most likely in your Downloads folder. Extract the file according to instructions in video tutorial or cheat sheet below.
- Can't Unzip? If on a PC right clicking does not offer “extract files”, then you may need to download an external program to unzip. We recommend trying WinRar, a free unzipping program.
- Still having trouble? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
Brushes Not Showing Up in Lightroom
- Try shutting down Lightroom and then restart it.
- If the Pretty Presets collection is showing up in Lightroom instead of the individual brushes, then click the triangle to the left of the collection name and the templates will drop down.
- Double check to make sure you copied the contents of the folder you downloaded into the "Local Adjustments" folder and not the "Develop" folder.
- Make sure what you copied into the "Local Adjustments" folder actually holds the brush presets and not another folder that contains those brush presets (i.e. folder within a folder).
- Do NOT check “Store Presets With Catalog.” This setting will appear to the left of "Show Lightroom Presets Folder" in your Preferences menu.
- Make sure that you EXTRACTED the zip file. If you merely double-clicked on the folder (on a PC), you will get access to the presets, but those will NOT be extracted files and will NOT copy or paste correctly or show up in Lightroom for you.
Lightroom Brush Installation Cheat Sheet
If you would like a physical copy of our Lightroom brush install instructions, just click the "download here" button below and print.
Tutorial Video: How to Install Brushes in Lightroom on a MAC and PC
More Helpful Links to Get You Started:
- Directions for installing Lightroom Presets into Lightroom
- Check out our top Lightroom Presets?
- New to Pretty Presets? Start Here!
Be sure to come join our Pretty Presets group on Facebook for access to 10 mentors and over 55,000 members that love to encourage and help you with Lightroom and Pretty Presets. See you there!
We love our community and are a trusted resource to over 250,000 photographers from over 100+ countries. Pretty Presets has been in business for 7+ years now, and we look forward to serving you. Let us know how we can help!