It’s almost that time again… FAMILY HOLIDAY SESSIONS!
The end of the year is quickly approaching and now is the time to get ahead of the game. Here are a few tips and events that may have slipped your mind, but you need to get on the calendar ASAP.
Check the Calendar
Lay out your schedule ON PAPER! Honestly, I feel like the phone or computer calendar are very fancy and all, but I need a real piece of paper and pencil to back me up when times get busy. I am always nervous about a lost phone or digital crash wiping out my whole fall schedule. There is nothing like a big ol’ desk calendar to make you feel prepared and organized.
Before you start happily emailing and publishing your open dates for family and Fall sessions, take a few minutes to look at your families schedule. Don’t forget to write in important dates for your own family so you won't have to reschedule or scramble last minute to accommodate everything. Here is a list of some potential things we tend to forget until the time looms closer.
- Spouse or partners holiday work party
- Kids evening activities or school parties
- Your own appointment for Hair or personal upkeep
- Your kids/spouse hair appointments
- Scheduling your own families session
- Shopping for or styling your own families session
- Out of town trips
- Family or friends coming to visit
- Fall Festivals
- Community Service dates
- Holiday shopping
Make a Contingency Plan
I also like to schedule out potential “disaster relief dates” now yes I realize that sounds funny and dramatic… but just wait until you need to use that date. You'll be very thankful for the idea. Here are a few reasons you may need to schedule out a relief date where you don’t plan any sessions, or out of town trips.
- Both you or your client may need to reschedule from real illness for yourself or family member.
- You can use your disaster dates to catch up on editing.
- Poor weather—none of us can control that!
And if magically, you run a perfect Fall season of sessions with no rescheduling, you can use your disaster dates to squeeze in that friend who flies by the seat of their pants and always asks for photos last minute.
OR, you can always just relax…