I love my Lightroom presets. I use them everyday. I never want to be without them. So I give them a little TLC and choose to back them up so they will always be there for me when needed.
Here are some tips for backing up your Lightroom presets and a step-by-step for guide for doing it.
Why Should I Backup My Presets?
Because thousands of computers crash everyday. And thousands of people change computers everyday. Approximately 6 of those are Pretty Presets users. How do we know that? Just guessing. (Actually, we field your support questions.) ;)
When Should I Backup My Presets?
You should back them up BEFORE your hard drive crashes! And since you have no idea when that is going to happen you should really back them up today.
You should also backup your presets BEFORE you do an upgrade or new installation of Lightroom. You never know when there is going to be an issue with an install so make sure you are ready for it.
Where Should I Backup My Presets?
You can backup your presets wherever you want. I think that backing them up to the cloud is a great idea. This way they can be accessed from different computers with only an internet connection. However, a USB drive will also work just fine.
How to Backup Your Presets?
Backing up your presets is easy. Here are the steps you need to take to back your presets up today!
- Open Lightroom.
- Open the Preferences Folder. On a PC, choose Edit, then Preferences. On a Mac, choose Lightroom, then Preferences.
- In the Preferences menu, highlight the Presets tab (the second from the left.)
- Click on “Show Presets in Folder.”
- Your Finder (on Mac) or Windows Explorer (on PC) will open and a folder called “Lightroom” will be highlighted. This is the folder you need to backup.
- Copy the “Lightroom” Folder and Paste it where you want your backup to be.
Now that is done you can breathe a sigh of relief. Right? Not entirely. Anytime you install a new set of presets, you should redo your backup. It really is no big deal. It only takes a moment!
Happy Backing Up! :)